Demands for personal mobility in India have been on an upward hike over the last few years. A large section of the population regards it as a safer, more reliable mode of transportation. This surge in demand for individual mobility has, in turn, spurred interest in pre-owned or used vehicles. Reports show that those who had been putting off purchasing a brand new vehicle are instead opting for used or pre-owned cars.
Used cars can offer great value at lower prices. The used car market is vibrant and exciting, with many companies joining the bandwagon with specialized services focused solely on certified pre-owned vehicles and peer-to-peer selling. However, if you really want to maximize value while adopting an electric vehicle, you can look into used electric cars in India, a growing market that has a lot to offer if you know how to go about it.
Over the recent years, electric vehicles in India have seen a new surge of interest. However, due to their relative recency, prices tend to be on the higher side, especially for more polished, premium models. Many customers who want to enter the domain of electric vehicles do not have access to the best electric cars owing to the steep prices. However, considering used electric cars in India will allow you to get past that hurdle and find an EV that suits your needs at a price that fits your budget.
Here are the most important considerations when you are trying to buy a used electric car in India and some tips for getting the best deal you can find.
Buying Used Electric Cars in India – Pros and Cons
Before you take the plunge, it is a good idea to know exactly what the experience might entail for you if you choose to buy a pre-owned electric car. Here are some positives and negatives to consider.
- The most important benefit of buying a used electric car in India is the fact that no matter what model you choose, you are likely to end up with a relatively new vehicle. Since the EV movement in India has only just caught on, most commercially available EV models have been launched in the last few years. This means that the electric car you buy will have a moderate distance on the odometer and is likely to be in good condition overall. This is something that is often missing when you buy used ICE cars.
- Another reason why used electric cars in India are likely to be in good condition is the fact that electric drivetrains experience far less wear and tear than ICE vehicles and require very little maintenance over time. Overall, this increases your chances of getting a car that can still perform at optimum levels for many years to come.
- Finally, it can be a worthwhile effort to buy used electric cars in India as you can enjoy most of the inherent benefits of EVs at a fraction of the price. Electric cars have lower running and maintenance costs, provide a one-of-a-kind driving experience, and can be great for the environment. With these benefits, it can be an easy choice to make for many customers.
- Since electric vehicles are relatively new in India, there is no established protocol to follow while purchasing used EVs and you might not have adequate resources at hand to guide you. This entails spending time and effort in research and making sure you know how to properly assess the current condition of an electric car before you move ahead with your purchase.
- Used electric cars will come with an already depleted battery and range. It might not be severe enough to cause you worries, but it is a good idea to look at the battery condition and charging metrics provided by the car dashboard or companion app to form a good understanding of the current condition of the battery.
- Buying an EV, whether new or used, compels you to think about a few important parameters. Think about the maximum range that you need from your car and take a look at the charging infrastructure where you plan to drive it most frequently. If the target range is more than your EV can provide and if the charging infrastructure is rudimentary, you might run into problems later on.
Tips and Tricks
With the pros and cons out in the open, here are a few tips you can follow to ensure you get a good deal when buying used electric cars in India.
- Find the right model for your needs. This can be far easier than you think due to the limited number of electric cars currently available in India. With limited options, it becomes easier to make a choice considering your unique use case.
- When possible, shortlist the newest vehicles you can find, or the ones with the least amount of distance covered.
- When you inspect an electric car that is a potential candidate for purchase, take your time and test out every aspect thoroughly. Watch out for dents and panel gaps. Check the interiors for signs of damage.
- Take a long, careful test drive and watch out for performance issues, noise, and structural issues.
- Spend some quality time with the metrics and diagnostics information provided by the car dashboard. Here, you will find useful info about the battery quality and the driving history of the car.
- Finally, learn in detail about service records, charging accessories, and warranty information before you make your final decision about purchase.
With a little care and attention to detail, you should end up with a great deal when looking at buying used electric cars in India. This way, you would be able to enter the wonderful world of electric vehicles at a price point that suits your pocket. The used electric car market, owing to its recency, is not yet home to the many pitfalls and problems that can haunt you in the used ICE car market. This is a great time to take advantage of this and land a great used EV that can give you reliable service for many years to come.
Image from Pixabay